Soft drinks you will find in Barcelona:
- The orxata ( pronounced "ortxata"), is one of the most refreshing drinks. It is manufactured with the juice of chufa a kind of papyrus which grows at the banks of the Guadalquivir.
- We can also find the granizado : orange or lemon juice, or coffee with crushed ice in large centrifugal machines. Sweetened, frozen and not expensive.
- In the plain of Lleida, you can find a drink called drink of the poor ( beguda de pobre), made from oranges, anise and sugar. It is surprising.
Typical Alcoholic drinks in Barcelona:
- Beer (cerveza): the most spread drink.
A "caña" ! ...a draught beer...
Be careful when asking for a beer, in Spain, in a bar, when you ask for a beer it means a beer in a bottle. If what you want is a draught beer you have to ask for a "caña".
- Wine: The cradle of the growing wine is a few kilometers from Barcelona in the area called Pénedès. We can find red wines with powerful taste. Try the appellation d?origine wines, a certified quality.
- Vermuth al grifo: It is wine macerated with herbs and delivered in small barrels with aerated water.
- Cava: It is the Champagne, a wine semi-sparkling, very pleasant to drink, a bit fruity an greener than the French Champagne. There are different brands: Raïmat, Freixenet and Codorniu.
- Inland we can find the good ratafias.
- Moscatel: it is a sweet wine and often find with mel I mato (see desserts below). Not to miss!