The day to day news on the restrictions and health measures in force in Barcelona and Catalonia.
In order to fight against coronavirus in Barcelona (Covid-19) measures are being taken on a daily basis by the Spanish government, Catalonia and Barcelona City Council to contain the pandemic. In this page we try to make these measures understandable to tourists or workers who wish or need to travel to Barcelona.
Our sources of information: If you have any doubts or questions, do not hesitate to visit these official websites:
- Barcelona City Council: Measures to fight against Covid-19
- Real time data on the evolution of Covid-19 in Catalonia.
Last update: 18/01/2021
Our information is updated according to each new local or governmental decision.
Coronavirus Barcelona: On the road to "nueva normalidad".
Lockdown, second lockdown, deconfinement, curfews, restrictions follow one after the other with the objective expected by all to achieve "nueva normalidad" (the new normal), i.e. complete deconfinement without curfews or particular restrictions. We are not there yet, but the numbers are falling. In the meantime, here is what is allowed to be done or not to be done in Barcelona.
All you need to know about the CURFEW in force in Barcelona:
Barcelona is not confined but strict sanitary rules are still in force with in particular a curfew from 10pm to 6am throughout Catalonia until further notice.
During the curfew you are not allowed :
- To leave your place of residence between 10 pm and 6 am.
After curfew you have to respect the following rules:
- You have to limit your meetings in a public or private setting to 6 people.
- You must wear a mask in all public places (inside and outside) between 6am and 10pm.
- It is recommended to limit as much as possible your movements outside your home, as well as the use of public areas.
- It is forbidden to smoke in the streets and public places, when the social distance of two meters between individuals cannot be maintained.
Of course, there are exceptions that allow you to go out during curfew in case of medical emergencies, to buy pharmaceuticals and even to walk a pet between 4 and 6 a.m., but you must carry a certificate in order to do so.
Is it possible to go sightseeing in Barcelona or Catalonia?
For the moment tourism in Barcelona or Catalonia is not possible.
In fact, one can only enter Catalonia or arrive in Barcelona for the following reasons:
- Assistance to health and social centres, services and establishments.
- Compliance with labor, professional, business, institutional or legal obligations.
- Attendance at colleges, teachers and schools, including preschool.
- Return to the place of main or family residence, for a justified need.
- Assistance and care for the elderly, minors, dependents, people with disabilities or especially vulnerable people.
- Transfer to financial and insurance institutions or refueling stations in neighbouring territories.
- Necessary or urgent actions before public, judicial or notarized bodies.
- Renewals of permits and official documentation, as well as other non-deferrable administrative procedures.
- Conducting non-deferrable official examinations or tests.
- Exercise of the right of manifestation and political participation
- Authorized national, international and professional sports competitions.
- Commuting for road work (transport, delivery,...).
- By force majeure or situation of need.
Remember to take the self-administration certificate with you when you travel to Catalonia. It can be downloaded online.
What is open what is closed in Barcelona
Are the hotels open in Barcelona?
Are restaurants and bars open in Barcelona?
- Restaurants and bars are open in Barcelona from 7:30 am to 9:30 am and from 1:00 pm to 3:30 pm. Inside the tables are spaced 2 meters apart and can only accommodate 4 people per table.
- The terraces can also be used for eating and drinking.
Discover Where to Eat in Barcelona ?
Are the shops open in Barcelona?
- Only shops of 400 square meters are open following the capacity restrictions of 50% for food shops and 30% for all others.
- On weekends, only essential shops, i.e. food and pharmacies, will be open.
Are museums and monuments open in Barcelona?
Monuments and museums remain open if they do not exceed 50% of their capacity. Barcelona.com indicates at the time of booking whether or not tickets are available for the date chosen.
Barcelona City Tours (book your tickets online for all monuments and museums in the city and the region).
Are concert halls and nightclubs open in Barcelona?
- Concert halls in Barcelona are open if they do not exceed 50% of their capacity or 600 people maximum.
- Nightclubs remain closed for clubbing activities.
Are theaters and cinemas open?
Theaters and cinemas in Barcelona are open if they do not exceed 50% of their capacity or a maximum of 600 people.
Are the beaches, parks and gardens open to the public?
Barcelona's beaches, parks and gardens are open until 8pm.
Is public transportation open?
Yes, public transportation in Barcelona is open. They operate at a normal pace to encourage social distancing. The Barcelona metro is closed from midnight to 5am.
What are the obligatory social distancing rules in Barcelona?
In order to slow down the spread of coronavirus in Barcelona it is mandatory or advisable to :
- Maintain a social distance of 2 meters from others.
- Wash your hands frequently (with soap and water or alcohol-based solutions).
- Wear a mask as often as possible. For anyone aged 6 years or older, masks must be worn in streets and public places or in any enclosed space used by or open to the public.
- Reduce daily social contact and avoid crowds.
- Consult a physician if symptoms consistent with COVID-19 infection are observed.
Prepare your trip to Spain:
- Find all the information about arrivals and departures at Barcelona airport. Which terminal is currently working?
- In Spain travel restrictions we explain which documents are required to travel to Spain: QR code and PCR test, vaccine, Covid Pass...
Thursday 26 November 2020 - 15:45