Montserrat Food and Wine Tour
Full-day tour from Barcelona
- A day trip to the picturesque Montserrat mountain from Barcelona
- One hour guided visit of the Montserrat Monastery
- Free time to explore Montserrat
- See “La Moreneta”, Montserrat’s Black Madonna
- Attend the Boys’ Choir act (l’Escolania)*
- Enjoy a traditional Catalan/Spanish meal with seasonal ingredients
- Get an introduction to wine tasting
- Taste three wines
*Note that l’Escolania does not sing on Saturdays, school holidays, and several dates throughout the year. On Sundays they perform at 12 pm.
Imagine leaving early in the morning for a perfectly orchestrated day between history and wine. You will first visit the Montserrat Monastery, where you will learn the legend of the Black Madonna or admire works by Picasso or Dalí at the wonderful art museum. You will see that Montserrat is as much a religious landmark as it is a natural highlight, where to discover the breathtaking views the mountain offers, or even browse amongst regional products in the local farmer’s market. After this, the second part of the Montserrat Food and Wine tour arrives: it’s time for gastronomy!
Head to the wine country, where you will have a seasonal menu at a local restaurant and visit a family owned cellar. You will love tasting their local wines! This tour is about your senses. Amazing views, local flavors, inspiring aromas… it’s hard to describe them here! Let your local expert guide lead you through an unforgettable day!
Montserrat Food and Wine Tour Description
Start your full day trip from Barcelona centre in a comfortable bus towards the mountain of Montserrat (1236m or 4,051feet) and its impressive Natural Park, one hour away northwest from Barcelona. A whole day of astounding landscape, views and history await from there.
In the morning: The Montserrat Monastery tour
Your first destination will be the scenic Monastery of Montserrat: a one-hour-long guided tour through the highlights of the Monastery. The Benedictine sanctuary was founded in 1025. It provides a mystical backdrop for the Virgin of Montserrat, the patron saint of Catalonia who is enshrined in the monastery's Basilica.
Free time in Montserrat: For the views, its Museum, the Boy’s choir and more..
After the guided tour, you will have two hours of free time. Depending on your interests, your guide will advise on all your options so that you can make the most of your time in Montserrat:
- You’ll have time to contemplate the splendid views while doing a short hike.
- Or be amazed by the art collection of the Montserrat Museum -where you will find some Dalí and Picasso paintings, as well as a mummy.
- Enjoy the world-famous Escolania de Montserrat Boys’ Choir, one of the oldest boys’ choirs in Europe (XIV Century). Good to know: some days the children's choir sings in the monastery and so you may be fortunate enough to enjoy one of their delightful performances.*
- See “La Moreneta”, Montserrat’s Black Virgin
- Make some shopping of local foods and specialties at the local farmer’s market.
- You will even have the chance, during peak season, to take funicular up the mountain.
Lunch time at a local restaurant
A short bus ride will bring you from Montserrat to a local restaurant. Time to savor a multi-course lunch of traditional Mediterranean cuisine made with high-quality seasonal ingredients. One can never better understand the culture of a country than by tasting its best dishes. You will have the opportunity to do so with a very representative Catalan meal.
There’s only one way to finish this day off, and that is by visiting one of our local wine producers.
Either in DO Penedès or in DO Pla de Bages, we will take our guests to a wonderful wine cellar where they can find out about our traditions and history. A visit around the winery premises will be followed by a delicious tasting of three local wines.
End of the day: Back to Barcelona
Now that you know all about “terroir, Piquepoul Noir, Syrah, Cabernet Franc, Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot”.. It’s time to go back. Your bus will take you back to your meeting point in Barcelona city centre. The journey takes a good hour depending on traffic conditions.
* Note that l’Escolania does not sing on Saturdays, school holidays, and several dates throughout the year. On Sundays they perform at 12 pm.
- 9:45 am - Meet at Plaza Catalunya, 21 (right by the Hard Rock Café
- 10:00 am - Departure for Montserrat
- 11:15 am - Cogwheel train ride
- 11:30 am - Guided visit through Montserrat Monastery
- 12:20 pm - Free time at Montserrat (around 1 hour)
- 1:20 pm - Meet your tour guide again
- 1:45 pm - Departure for the winery
- 2:15 pm - Multi-course lunch with wine at a local restaurant
- 4:00 pm - Guided visit through the vineyards and the winery
- 5:00 pm - Wine tasting (3 local wines)
- 6:00 pm - Departure for Barcelona
- 7:00 – 7:30 pm* - Arrival to Plaza Catalunya, 21 (by the Hard Rock Café)
*Please note that the way back to Barcelona takes around 1 h – 1 h 30 minutes depending on traffic conditions.
- Shared transportation in a comfortable bus with air conditioning
- Local English speaking-guide
- Guided visit to Montserrat Monastery
- Free time to enjoy Montserrat (around 2 hours)
- Multi-course local meal with wine
- Guided visit to Oller del Mas winery
- Tasting of three ecological wines
- Possibility to buy the wines tasted (shipping available)
- Bottle of water, provided at the end of the tour
- Pick-up and drop off at your hotel
- Tips and gratuities
- Meeting point is Plaza Catalunya, 21 (by the Hard Rock Café).
- Tour starts at 10:00 am, please be at the meeting point at least 15 minutes before the start of the tour.
- Once at the meeting point, please look for a bright pink umbrella.
- All tours depart on time to avoid delays. Please note that late arrivals or no shows may be rescheduled, but not refunded.
- There is a limit of 16 people per group, although we reserve the right to extend the limit to 18.
- Transportation will be shared with other groups.
- You may book this as a private tour, also in other languages.
- If you have reduced mobility, please contact us before booking. We do our best to welcome everyone on board!
- Comfortable clothes and shoes are recommended as there is some walking involved.
- Temperatures at Montserrat and the winery tend to be more extreme than in Barcelona. Please check the weather forecast the day before and dress accordingly.
- Infants aged 3 or less may join the tour free of charge, but note that no car seat or meals are provided.
- All dietary allergies or restrictions are catered for.
For infants, booking is needed and no meals or car seat are included.
Why buy from us ?
We work, live and breathe in Barcelona and no other city. That's why we offer :
- best prices
- best rated city tours and tickets!