Montserrat Food and Wine Tour
Full-day tour from Barcelona
- A day trip to the picturesque Montserrat mountain from Barcelona
- One hour guided visit of the Montserrat Monastery
- Free time to explore Montserrat
- See “La Moreneta”, Montserrat’s Black Madonna
- Attend the Boys’ Choir act (l’Escolania)*
- Enjoy a traditional Catalan/Spanish meal with seasonal ingredients
- Explore a refurbished 10th century medieval castle and winery
- Get an introduction to wine tasting
- Taste three ecological wines
*Please note that l’Escolania does not sing on Saturdays and several dates throughout the year.
Imagine leaving early in the morning Barcelona centre for a perfectly orchestrated day between visiting Montserrat Monastery, the local museum where you can admire works by Picasso and Dalí - and learning the legend of the Black Madonna. A religious site but in the same time the discovery of breathtaking views of the mountain of Montserrat and of regional products in a local farmer's market. Montserrat food and wine tour continues with a short cable car excursion before taking a gentle stroll through the vineyards and cellars where you have lunch from local producers before learning to taste the 100% organic wines of the estate.
It's hard to tell you about the smells of undergrowth or the flavors of wines in this description, but let Clara, Agnès, Alex… Guide you for this unforgettable day!
Montserrat Food and Wine Tour Description
Start your full day trip from Barcelona centre in a comfortable bus towards the mountain of Montserrat (1236m or 4,051feet) and its impressive National Park, one hour away northwest from Barcelona. A whole day of astounding landscape, views and history await from there.
In the morning: The Montserrat Monastery tour
Your first destination will be the scenic Monastery of Montserrat: a one-hour-long guided tour through the highlights of the Monastery. The Benedict sanctuary was founded in 1025. It provides a mystical backdrop for the Virgin of Montserrat, the patron saint of Catalonia who is enshrined in the monastery's Basilica.
Free time in Montserrat: For the views, its Museum, the Boy’s choir and more..
After the guided tour, you will have two hours of free time. Depending on your interests, your guide will advise on all your options so that you can make the most of your time in Montserrat:
- You’ll have time to contemplate the splendid views while doing a short hike.
- Or be amazed by the art collection of the Montserrat Museum -where you will find some Dalí and Picasso paintings, as well as a mummy.
- Enjoy the world-famous Escolania de Montserrat Boys’ Choir, one of the oldest boys’ choirs in Europe (XIV Century). Good to know: some days the children's choir sings in the monastery and so you may be fortunate enough to enjoy one of their delightful performances.
- See “La Moreneta”, Montserrat’s Black Virgin
- Make some shopping of local foods and specialties at the local farmer’s market.
- You will even have the chance, during peak season, to take funicular up the mountain.
Lunch time at Oller del Mas winery restaurant
A short bus ride will bring you from Montserrat to Oller del Mas winery restaurant. Time to savor a multi-course lunch of traditional Mediterranean cuisine made with high-quality seasonal ingredients. One can never better understand the culture of a country than by tasting its best dishes. You will have the opportunity to do so with a very representative Catalan meal.
Afternoon : The wine tour in Oller del Mas Castle and Winery
The guided wine tour starts there:
- You will visit the premises of the winery Oller del Mas.
- You will have the opportunity to visit some private parts of the Castle.
- You will also visit the barrels room and the old tanks where wine was made in medieval times.
- Because we all care: Oller del Mas is known for its vineyards 100% organic. They use no chemical substances and believe only in the sensible and controlled use of organic fertilisers. No herbicides or pesticides. Just green fertilisers and organic compost.Time to taste their wine.
- As it should be, a visit to a cellar ends by a tasting of its best wines. You will taste three ecological wines. You will be able buy the wine you have tasted and enjoyed. The producer even takes care of the shipments abroad.
End of the day: Back to Barcelona
Now that you know all about “terroir, Piquepoul Noir, Syrah, Cabernet Franc, Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot”.. It’s time to go back. Your bus will take you back to your meeting point in Barcelona city centre. The journey takes a good hour depending on traffic conditions.
08:30 am - Meeting point at Plaza Catalunya, 21 (in front of the Hard Rock Café)
08:45 am - Departure for Montserrat
09:50 am - Arrival to Montserrat
10:00 am - Guided visit to Montserrat Monastery
11:00 am - 2 hours free time at Montserrat
01:20 pm - Meet your tour guide again
01:45 pm - Departure for Oller del Mas Restaurant
02:15 pm - Multi-course lunch with wine at Oller del Mas Restaurant
04:00 pm - Guided visit through Oller del Mas vineyards, cellar, and castle
05:00 pm - Wine tasting (3 ecological wines)
06:00 pm - Departure for Barcelona
07:00/30 pm* - Arrival to Plaza Catalunya, 21 (by the Hard Rock Café)
*Please note that the way back to Barcelona takes around 1 h – 1 h 30 minutes depending on traffic conditions.
- Shared transportation in a comfortable bus with air conditioning
- Local English speaking-guide
- Guided visit to Montserrat Monastery
- Free time to enjoy Montserrat (around 2 hours)
- Multi-course local meal with wine
- Guided visit to Oller del Mas winery
- Tasting of three ecological wines
- Possibility to buy the wines tasted (shipping available)
- Bottle of water, provided at the end of the tour
- Pick-up and drop off at your hotel
- Tips and gratuities
- Meeting point is Plaza Catalunya, 21 (by the Hard Rock Café).
- Tour starts at 8:45 am, please be at the meeting point at least 15 minutes before the start of the tour.
- Once at the meeting point, please look for a bright pink umbrella.
- All tours depart on time to avoid delays. Please note that late arrivals or no shows may be rescheduled, but not refunded.
- There is a limit of 16 people per group, although we reserve the right to extend the limit to 18.
- Transportation will be shared with other groups.
- You may book this as a private tour, also in other languages.
- If you have reduced mobility, please contact us before booking. We do our best to welcome everyone on board!
- Comfortable clothes and shoes are recommended as there is some walking involved.
- Temperatures at Montserrat and the winery tend to be more extreme than in Barcelona. Please check the weather forecast the day before and dress accordingly.
- Infants aged 3 or less may join the tour free of charge, but note that no car seat or meals are provided.
- All dietary allergies or restrictions are catered for.
For infants, booking is needed and no meals or car seat are included.
Why buy from us ?
We work, live and breathe in Barcelona and no other city. That's why we offer :
- best prices
- best rated city tours and tickets!