Cardona & Montserrat - Full Day with Brunch
Visit the Salt Mines of Cardona
- The Black Madonna: locally known as La Moreneta, this is a figure not to be missed.
- Montserrat Museum: wide variety of archeological artworks from medieval times to avant-garde style. Entrance fee not included on the tour.
- Salt Mine of Cardona: once one of the most important potash salt mines in Europe, you can now visit its galleries and feel like a true miner. Watch your steps!
- Cardona Castle: one of the best preserved medieval fortress in Catalonia. It is an excellent example of military fortification.
- Hiking routes: although there are plenty of trails to follow in Montserrat, we recommend you to reach the cross of Sant Miquel (approximately 15 minutes from the monastery) as it offers one of the best views of the area.
Why you should go ?
Visit the Salt Mines of Cardona. Explore the Cardona Castle and savor local products on a fantastic brunch at the site. Head to Montserrat to take the cog-wheel train and enjoy a breathtaking ride up the mountain. Walk around the sanctuary and imagine the many lives lived by the monks through the centuries. Finally, see the Black Madonna known as La Moreneta in the Basilica or taste some of the local liquors made in the area.
Leave our office in central Barcelona on an air-conditioned coach towards Cardona. Sit back and relax on the journey to Cardona’s Salt Mountain Park.
Get into the original tunnels of one of the most important potash salt mines in Europe until 1990. Marvel at the immense Salt Mountain and feel like a true miner travelling back in time into the salt basin. Put on a helmet and get ready to explore the old and new galleries of the site.
Visit one of the most important medieval fortress in Catalonia, the Cardona Castle. Build in the IX century by order of Guifré el Pilós (Wilfred the Hairy), the construction is a perfect example of Romanesque style architecture. Learn about the vast significance of this Count actions with your local guide and the historical importance of this landmark. Marvel at the views and savor a brunch of tasty local products before heading to the mystic mountain of Montserrat.
On arrival to Montserrat, board the cog-wheel train up the mountain and enjoy the amazing views over the area. Admire the Mountain’s peculiar morphology, which comes from the Catalan words Mont (mountain) and Serrat (serrated). World-famous for its rocky geography, Montserrat beautiful scenery was declared National Park in 1987 to protect its natural and cultural wealth.
Follow your local guide through the site and learn about the history and architectural style of the Monastery. A community of 80 monks currently lives and follow the rule of Saint Benedict in Montserrat. Fall in love with the Gothic and Renaissance details of the basilica and sanctuary, popularity of which comes from the legend of the miraculous apparition of the Madonna and Child in the cave of Santa Cova. To this day their wood carving is kept in the Church of the monastery, which you will be able to visit. The figure is popularly known as La Moreneta (The Black Madonna) as a result of a varnish reaction.
Besides the main area, there are a great number of small churches and trails you can follow. You will be given free time to taste the finest liquors, shop for locally produced treats or visit the audio visual exhibition once our guided tour finishes.
- Transportation on an air conditioned coach.
- Tour operated in both Spanish and English.
- Radio guide system.
- Entrance and visit to Cardona Castle.
- Entrance and visit to the Salt Mines in Cardona.
- Brunch composed of local products, a glass of wine and a glass of cava.
- Taste of 4 typical liquors of the area.
- Entrance to the audio visual exhibition in Montserrat “Espai Audio visual Montserrat”.
- Exhibition based on three fundamental pillars: the mountain, the monastery and the sanctuary.
- Discounts at some of the main attractions:
- 20% off in the Sant Joan Funicular ticket.
- 10% off in the Museum entrance fee.
- 10% off in the buffet restaurant at the “Mirador dels Apostols”.
- Food and drinks, unless specified.
- Hotel pickup and drop-off.
- A dress code is required to enter the Basilica in Montserrat. Knees and shoulders MUST be covered for both men and women. No flip flops permitted.
- Operates in all weather conditions, please dress appropriately.
- Please note: Radio guide system is offered to groups of more than 5 people.
- Please note this is a walking tour on arrival at the site. Wear appropriate attire.
- No shows will not be refunded.
- Please remember to request a change in the regular menu in the event of food intolerances or diet requirements when making your booking. Please wait for confirmation. If we are not notified in advance, the company will hold no responsibility for not being able to accommodate your needs.
- The duration of the tour includes transportation.
- Please check the schedule for the facilities you wish to visit at the site.
- Queues to see the Black Madonna may occur depending on season.
Why buy from us ?
We work, live and breathe in Barcelona and no other city. That's why we offer :
- best prices
- best rated city tours and tickets!