Barcelona Full Day: Montserrat AM + Artistic PM: The Best of Gaudí
See the Black Madonna in the Basilica of Montserrat and enjoy Gaudí's masterpieces
- Admire the details of the different façades of the Sagrada Familia and its extensive symbolism.
- Explore Park Güell on a guided tour and be amazed at Gaudís’ amazing skills.
- Walk along Paseo de Gracia, see La Pedrera and Casa Batlló, reflections of Gaudís’ incredible imagination.
Why you should go ?
See the Black Madonna known as La Moreneta in the Basilica of Montserrat. Listen to one of the oldest Boys’ Choir in Europe (depending on schedule). Walk around the sanctuary and imagine the many lives lived by the monks at the site through the centuries. Visit Park Güell. Walk along the most important street in Barcelona and admire the two most important Gaudí Houses from the outside.
Board a coach from our office in central Barcelona to the magical mountain of Montserrat. Famous for its peculiar morphology, its name comes from the Catalan words Mont (mountain) and Serrat (serrated). World-famous for its rocky geography, Montserrat beautiful scenery was declared National Park in 1987 to protect its natural and cultural wealth.
Follow your local guide through the site and learn about the history and architectural style of the Monastery. A community of 80 monks currently lives and follow the rule of Saint Benedict in Montserrat. Fall in love with the Gothic and Renaissance details of the basilica and sanctuary. Learn about the legend of the miraculous apparition of the Black Madonna and Child in the cave of Santa Cova. To this day their wood carving is kept in the Church of the monastery, which you will be able to visit. The figure is popularly known as La Moreneta (The Black Madonna) as a result of a varnish reaction.
Besides the main area, there are a great number of small churches and trails you can follow. You will be given free time to taste the finest liquors, shop for locally produced treats or visit the audio visual exhibition once our guided tour finishes.
Check in back again at our office in central Barcelona 15 minutes before the starting time of the afternoon activity. Meet your guide and come aboard an air conditioned coach towards Sagrada Familia.
Enjoy a panoramic tour of the exterior of the Sagrada Familia. Marvel at the extensive symbolism of its façade details. Board your bus back again for a short trip to the Park Güell, located in the upper part of the city. Enjoy a guided tour of the Park with your local guide and discover why it is one of the most emblematic works by Gaudí. Wonder at the magnificent skills of Gaudí and its organic style, displayed all over the park. Did you know the Park is a World Heritage Site by UNESCO?
Follow your guide and board the coach again for a short trip to Passeig de Gràcia, the most important street in the city. Stroll down the same admiring the many modernist buildings, learn about their history and significance. Stop in front of La Pedrera and at Casa Batlló, marvel at Gaudí’s abilities and enjoy the explanations of your guide.
AFTERNOON TOUR – PLEASE NOTE
- Check in at Julià Travel office in Balmes Street number 5 at 3.15PM.
- Transportation on an air conditioned coach.
- Local guide.
- Tour operated in both Spanish and English.
- Radio guide system.
- Admission to Park Güell.
- Taste of 4 typical liquors in Montserrat.
- Entrance to the audio visual exhibition in Montserrat “Espai Audio visual Montserrat”.
- Exhibition based on three fundamental pillars: the mountain, the monastery and the sanctuary.
- Discounts at some of the main attractions:
- 20% off in the Sant Joan Funicular ticket.
- 10% off in the Museum entrance fee.
- 10% off in the buffet restaurant at the “Mirador dels Apostols”.
- Food and drinks, unless specified.
- Hotel pick up and drop off.
- Admission to Sagrada Familia, Casa Milà (La Pedrera) and Casa Batlló.
- A dress code is required to enter the Basilica in Montserrat. Knees and shoulders MUST be covered for both men and women. No flip flops permitted.
- Queues to see the Black Madonna may occur depending on season.
- Operates in all weather conditions, please dress appropriately.
- Please note: Radio guide system is offered to groups of more than 5 people.
- The duration of the tour includes transportation.
- Please note this activity includes walking long distances. Wear appropriate attire.
- Julià Travel reserves the right to change the itinerary or cancel the tour due to events being celebrated in the city or force majeure reasons.
Why buy from us ?
We work, live and breathe in Barcelona and no other city. That's why we offer :
- best prices
- best rated city tours and tickets!