Barcelona Full Day: Highlights + Montserrat with Cog-wheel Train
Enjoy a walking tour of the Gothic Quarter and enter the beautiful Cathedral of Barcelona.
- Discover the significant history of Montserrat and enjoy the amazing views.
- See the Black Madonna popularly known as La Moreneta, located in the Basilica of Montserrat.
- Get aboard the Montjuic cable car for breathtaking views over Barcelona.
- Hiking routes: although there are plenty of trails to follow, we recommend you to reach the cross of Sant Miquel (approximately 15 minutes from the monastery) as it offers one of the best views of the area.
Why you should go ?
Enjoy a walking tour of the Gothic Quarter and enter the beautiful Cathedral of Barcelona. Have a panoramic tour through the city. Visit the Montjuïc Castle and enjoy the views from the cable car. Take the cog-wheel train and enjoy a breathtaking ride up to Montserrat. Visit the Black Madonna known as La Moreneta in the Basilica or taste some of the local liquors made in the area.
Check in at our office in central Barcelona and meet your guide.
For the first part of the activity, enjoy a walking tour of the Gothic Quarter. Stroll down one of the most important streets in the city until you reach the Cathedral of Barcelona. You will have some free time to visit the same on your own. Meet your guide again to continue the walking tour. Walk the narrow streets of the oldest part of the city and discover the many secrets it holds. Marvel at the quaint medieval places hidden to the crowds and learn about their huge historical significance. Did you know the Gothic Quarter shelters the Old Jewish Quarter of Barcelona?
Follow your guide to Plaça Catalunya to board an air conditioned coach for a panoramic tour through the city. Drive through Passeig de Gràcia and admire the most popular Gaudi Houses, Casa Batlló and Casa Milà (La Pedrera). Notice some the most important modernist façades. Next, listen to your guide’s explanations as we drive near the sea. Discover the changes to the coastline of Barcelona for the Olympic Games in 1992. See the Olympic Port, the beach and the fisherman’s quarter from the bus, called Barceloneta.
Head to the Montjuïc Mountain, main scenery of the Olympic Games in 1992. See the Olympic stadium and ride the cable car for amazing views over the city. Visit the Montjuïc Castle for a guided visit of the oldest fortress in the city, today a fantastic viewpoint of Barcelona.
Check in back again at our office in Balmes Street number 5 before the starting time of the afternoon activity. Meet your guide and come aboard an air conditioned coach to Montserrat.
After a 1h drive on the highway, board the cog-wheel train up the mountain and enjoy the amazing views. Admire the Mountain’s peculiar morphology, which comes from the Catalan words Mont (mountain) and Serrat (serrated). World-famous for its rocky geography, Montserrat beautiful scenery was declared National Park in 1987 to protect its natural and cultural wealth.
Follow your local guide through the site and learn about the history and architectural style of the Monastery. A community of 80 monks currently lives and follow the rule of Saint Benedict in Montserrat. Fall in love with the Gothic and Renaissance details of the basilica and sanctuary. Learn about the legend of the miraculous apparition of the Madonna and Child in the cave of Santa Cova. To this day their wood carving is kept in the Church of the monastery, which you will be able to visit. The figure is popularly known as La Moreneta (The Black Madonna) as a result of a varnish reaction.
Besides the main area, there are a great number of small churches and trails you can follow. You will be given free time to taste the finest liquors, shop for locally produced treats or visit the audio visual exhibition once our guided tour finishes.
- Transportation on an air conditioned coach.
- Local guide.
- Tour operated in both Spanish and English.
- Radio guide system.
- Entrance to Montjuïc Castle.
- Entrance to the Cathedral of Barcelona.
- Montjuïc cable car ride.
- Taste of 4 typical liquors of the area.
- Entrance to the audio visual exhibition in Montserrat “Espai Audio visual Montserrat”.
- Exhibition based on three fundamental pillars: the mountain, the monastery and the sanctuary.
- Discounts at some of the main attractions:
- 20% off in the Sant Joan Funicular ticket.
- 10% off in the Museum entrance fee.
- 10% off in the buffet restaurant at the “Mirador dels Apostols”.
- Food and drinks, unless specified.
- Hotel pick up and drop off.
- From the end of January to the beginning of March the cable car is under maintenance (days to concrete). The service will be replaced by an appetizer at the Montjuïc Castle.
- Please note: Radio guide system is offered to groups of more than 5 people.
- The duration of the tour includes transportation.
- A dress code is required to enter the Basilica in Montserrat. Knees and shoulders MUST be covered for both men and women. No flip flops permitted.
- Queues to see the Black Madonna may occur depending on season.
- Please note this activity includes walking long distances. Wear appropriate attire.
- Julià Travel reserves the right to change the itinerary or cancel the tour due to events being celebrated in the city or force majeure reasons.
Why buy from us ?
We work, live and breathe in Barcelona and no other city. That's why we offer :
- best prices
- best rated city tours and tickets!